Subject: Re: [amos-list] Motivation?
From: Rod Whiteley <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 07:06:32 +1000

From: Rod Whiteley <[email-masked]>

G'Day Ashley
The motivation for the bigger things I've written in AMOS have all been
work-related. I'm a physiotherapist and 8 years ago when we started our
practice here there was no professional software aimed at physios to do our
billinig, accounting etc. So since I had to write it myself, I thought I
should do it in the most comfortable environment I could find. The actual
writing happened initially over about 3 or four days of coffee fueled
intensity, for many hours a day to get a working version running.
Subsequently, I keep making modifications as bug fixes and more major
modifications as the need arises. The most recent addition is a nice little
GUIExt add-on that calculates tax payable for our employees. I actually quite
like this little utility because I now reckon I'm getting the hang of the
GUIExt, and find it wonderful. I've never bothered to compile any of the
stuff I've written because it all runs on my machine (so I just run it
interpreted) this way corrections can be made 'on the fly' much more quickly.
Also the couple of tiimes I've compiled it, it hasn't seemed quite as stable.
I think I might compile the little tax calculator, and release it to Aminet.
On second thoughts, how many people would find use from being able to
calculate P.A.Y.E. tax in Australia on their Amiga? Oh well, as ever, the
motivation for writing remains entirely internal. Oh, I also wrote a few
little apps for my wife's work as a paediatric speech pathologist (little
educational things).
Cheers,
Rod

-- 
Mitchell & Whiteley Physiotherapy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
With more than 17 million e-mails exchanged daily...
http://www.onelist.com
...ONElist is THE place where the world talks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official AMOS WWW: http://members.xoom.com/AmosFactory/front.html